Sunday 3 February 2013

I love the Victoria and Albert Museum

I had a wonderful time in the ceramics galleries at the V and A Museum whilst in London last week and the good news, for me, is that I'm off there again next week. 
 
Pair of dishes by Lucie Rie, United Kingdom, 1967. Museum no. CIRC.1231-1967
Pair of dishes by Lucie Rie, United Kingdom, 1967.
I loved the work of Lucie Rie, of which there was loads. © Victoria and Albert Museum, London
 
I loved much of what I saw. However, what impressed me most was some of the Japanese ceramics from 10th century which looked like so much of the studio ceramics that I have in my recent collection. Do go and have a look at it all - its really exciting and just goes to show that maybe we are not capable of creating anything new!
 



Whilst wandering I found the following information:

Ceramics Tour: Thursday 28 February 2013 14:00. If you are free to go along I think it will be a worthwhile experience. Maybe I'll see you there!

V&A guide Vicki Beauchamp will introduce you to the Ceramics Galleries, looking at the concept behind the new displays and focusing on some of the highlights of the collection.
 
 

So, I came back home and looked at some of my favourite studio pottery and fell in love all over again.  However, I will be selling some of them at the Antique Fair at Bath Showground on 15th, 16th and 17th March.  I just need to make room to collect more pieces.  The problem, or maybe the joy, of having a small home is that you cannot keep everything you love forever.  Luckily I get a lot of pleasure out of collecting, enjoying for a while and then passing on for someone else to love and enjoy


         

A collection of some of my favourite jugs some vintage, many newish.
Those that I found at vide greniers in France allow me to remember, with fondness, the people I bought them from and the stories that came with them. I guess that is what is so special about objects which have had previous owners, sometimes you get the history as well as the object to enjoy.
 
One of my favourite finds at the moment is half English and half French.  The lovely yellow ochre pouring bowl is a very old provencal piece.  I used to steep my olives in it (now that's a long job).  The vibrant green glazed jug is a English Victorian piece.  Somehow these two pieces of old pottery go so well together even though they are from different sides of the channel.
 
While thinking about ceramics from France I must just add another of my favourites.  Not studio made but charming all the same.
 
These two storage pots are the last remaining of what would have been a set of five.  They were made to be used and in a basic farmhouse kitchen the use they got would have been hard.  Unfortunately this means that many of the pots have suffered damaged lids, cracked bases etc. etc. over the years.  Neither of these are in perfect condition but they are beautiful as display pieces and after having had a hard life I think they now deserve a rest on my kitchen shelves from where they can look at all my more modern pieces doing heavy duty. A good retirement for them.
 
I was really pleased to find the pots in an old farmhouse in Limousin, Central France which I went to view in my property selling days.  I loved them so much that the elderly lady gave them to me as a present. (luckily I did managed to sell the house for her pretty quickly!). They have been in my kitchen for more than 20 years now but I will be selling them this year at one of the Antique and Collectors Markets.  I hope someone is going to give them a really good home.
 
I can't wait to get out to France to hunt down some more lovely bits and pieces to bring to you but meanwhile I continue to scour the highways and byeways of Somerset for some interesting and beautiful English pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment